Published 2:00am Saturday, April 23, 2011
Escambia County Habitat for Humanity is trying a tiny something different as a way to make money for future building projects.
ECHFH is holding the first ever “Holy Smokes Barbeque” at Tom Byrne Park in Atmore Saturday, May 14, 2011 from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m.
Area churches have been targeted for the event which prompted the name of the event.
Alecia Glaize, executive director for ECHFH, stated many church members have perfected their own special way to cook barbecue for huge events and this will be the chance to show those recipes off.
“We chose to include just churches in this cook-off,” Glaize said. “That’s the reason for the name of the event. We are always looking for a way to make money to pay for the work we do. This is the first time we have ever done this.
“I am not a barbecue expert, but I comprehend some people are really in to their likes and dislikes in barbecue. I know I have heard of several cook-offs in Pensacola and Mobile, and we thought we would try it.”
Churches throughout the county are asked to form a team or sponsor a team of cooks and enter the competition. The event will benefit the HFH organizatio for Escambia County, but will help promote the church as well, Glaize said.
The competition will be judged by Kansas City Barbeque Society judges and winners will get trophies for first, second, and third, and People’s Choice Awards.
Awards will be presented in categories of ribs, chicken and Boston butts.
Glaize stated teams should be prepared to have food ready for those who show up to learn who winners are in the event.
Each team must provide 40 pounds of meat to be used for tasting. These tastes will sell for $1 each.
The teams can also sell their barbecue in bulk for whatever they want.
Teams keep 75 percent of what is sold and Escambia County Habitat for Humanity will get 25 percent.
There is an entry fee of $25 per team with registration deadline is May 6.
“We are also asking the participating churches to bring their musical groups and choirs,” Glaize said. “They will be good entertainment while everyone eats their barbecue. We thought this would be a good way for the churches to share in whatever is made while helping Habitat at the same time.”
- Business Coach Roger Bryan Announces Speaking Engagement for ‘Sales and Marketing for Smart People’ Event in Los …
- How to Make Your Own Yearbook DVD Slideshow for High School with PowerPoint
- Cross triathletes target Buffelspoort
- Smart Energy International 2011
- Singapore lights the way for a greener future in building design and materials
- Forward with Ford Event Trip Report (Overview)
- One day to go: Bone & joint health virtual conference
- ‘TechnoGirls’ event allows 450 school-students explore new areas in IT
- ENE TECH EVENT Powered by LeadTech on May 19th
- HP: WebOS/Windows on all future PC's
Submited at Saturday, April 23rd, 2011 at 8:00 pm on Uncategorized by robert
Comment RSS 2.0 - leave a comment - trackback