JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Rezoning legislation on St. Vincent’s Southside campus is cause for major concern for neighbors.
“It’s beautiful, we come out here at night and we enjoy just the peace and quiet,” stated resident Alex Boiko.
The Boiko’s found their dream home at Midtowne Condos in 2009.
“When we moved here three and a half years ago, it was under the pretense that this was all protected area, that nothing would be built there, and that was the biggest factor in us moving here,” he said.
But now that they are settled in, they may be losing their dream view.
The nature preserve behind their house is small, and St. Vincent’s Southside is clearly visible beyond the trees.
And now the hospital has filed legislation to rezone parts of their campus, including a permit that would grant buildings to exceed 30 feet.
“We immediately had visions in our head of construction sites and noise in our backyard, and it scared us,” he said.
St. Vincents put a call out to residents at the beginning of the week asking neighbors for feedback on possible projects.
They ended up with a standing room only meeting, with neighbors on all sides of the campus questioning the plans.
“St. Vincent’s Southside has really gone through a massive growth spurt,and we started looking at it to determine what do we need to do with our property on a go forward basis,” stated Southside Campus President Donnie Romine.
Romine states the current zoning really limits what they are able to do with the property.
Their campus is only zoned for public buildings shorter than 30 feet, so they want to get a rezoning designation for down the line.
“It really opens us up to many more options, even though right now we do not know what we are going to do with the property,” he said.
Romine says the hospital is only in the planning phase, and nothing concrete or otherwise has been decided — yet.
“We also know that there is very tiny chance every single person in the community will like every thing we put on our property. We know that,” he said.
A date has not yet been set to hear the rezoning request.
First Coast News
- UCSD surgeons test drive future tools
- Samsung CEO Hails 10 Million Galaxy S4 Sales in 3 Weeks, Hints at 100 Million in Future
- Gauge of US economy’s future health up in April
- We have created an emergency plan for any future building collapses: Sadat …
- Housing strategies key to future, says author
- Change of mind for future life
- Our wireless future will bring breakneck speeds and tablet-powered homes
- Malaysia's youth forging a new future?
- Lebanon Valley Council on the Arts seeks input on future of building
- Future of computer interaction on display in Paris
Submited at Saturday, March 17th, 2012 at 8:00 pm on Uncategorized by sofia
Comment RSS 2.0 - leave a comment - trackback