Liverpool welcomed back their 2010-11 player of the season in Brazilian midfielder, Lucas Leiva during the clubs preseason friendly with Toronto FC. Leiva suffered a season ending knee injury against Chelsea in the early stages of the 2011-12 campaign for the club and has been sidelined ever since.
For a player that was once loathed by the Anfield faithful, Lucas won the hearts of the Liverpool supporters during the past two seasons as he has only gotten better and better in the heart of the Reds midfield.
His injury last season saw the club miss him all season, and a player that was once an outcast by the fans was mourned for being absent from the first team.
According to new manager Brendan Rodgers in the Daily Mail, Lucas is the key to the club’s midfield future as the North Irishman plans to build his new look Liverpool around the talented young Brazilian that despite his experience is still only 25 years of age.
His youth career saw him developed as an attacking midfielder at Gremio in Brazil before being transformed into a more defensive midfielder during 2009-10 after the departures of both Xabi Alonso and Javier Mascherano from Liverpool.
With a skill set for both styles now, Lucas is set to become the Reds more important centerpiece as the anchor of the Midfield and most likely the supporter of Alberto Aquilani and Steven Gerrard.
Enjoy this article? Receive e-mail alerts when new articles are available. Just click on the “Subscribe” button above.
You can also follow me on Twitter @thedailyatz, Facebook and Pinterest.
- City leaders to meet over the future of World’s Fair Park
- Bathurst Council to decide on TAFE building future
- Automotive Transmission Technology is a Future Factor
- Company poised for future growth
- Future of 3D TV dims as ESPN yanks in-your-face channel
- Brain Controlled Computers Could Be The Future
- GM CEO: Connected vehicles are the future
- Flying fish – to your table! Sushi restaurant offers diners a taste of the future with gadget designed to deliver food …
- FOOSBALL: Detroit Future City’s Kinkead
- Why iOS is the future of Apple (and how we got here)
Submited at Tuesday, July 24th, 2012 at 2:30 am on Uncategorized by admin
Comment RSS 2.0 - leave a comment - trackback