Thousand Oaks resident Rita Vashti is grateful for the non-profit grocery shopping and delivery service Shop Ahoy.
At 79, she no longer drives, and her closest family member lives in Encino. Even if she takes Dial-A-Ride to the market, carrying the packages and putting away her buys is a hardship.
All groups meet at 8:30 a.m. Tuesdays except the Thousand Oaks group, which meets Thursday mornings.
“I think I can talk for all of us,” Miller said. “We get more than we give. We meet so many nice people. We shop once a week for them, but I know a lot of my colleagues take the people during the week to get their hair done or to the doctor.”
The organization differs from a market delivery in that markets require patrons to have a computer, order a minimum amount, pay a fee and pick up orders on the doorstep.
“Our orders are recorded by other volunteers who do the calling,” Miller said. “We actually phone them on a weekly basis because they are elderly and really need us to call them. And we stress to them to be specific about their items because I always use the analogy that Bush’s Baked Beans must have about a half a dozen flavors.”
To donate or for more information on volunteering with Shop Ahoy, call Miller at 236-1267.
- Probiotics Market – New Industry Research Report Published by Transparency Market Research
- Bio-Implants Market – New Industry Research Report is Now Available for Pre Order at Transparency Market Research
- China Online Education and Training Market Reviewed & Forecast by Huidian Research in New Report Available at …
- World Batteries Market 2016 Forecasts & Primary Battery and Cell Country Reports Available at ReportsnReports.com
- New York Life Unveils Variable Annuity [Professional Services Close
- Builder confidence continues to rise
- Nokia Siemens eyes Huawei's No. 2 market position for 2013
- Future of PC Market Bleak with Rise of the Tablet; Special Report by Leading …
- Biodegradable Stents Will Soon Become Commercially Available – A Dream Come True, According to Latest Market Research …
- US housing market gains traction
Submited at Wednesday, December 28th, 2011 at 8:00 pm on Uncategorized by madison
Comment RSS 2.0 - leave a comment - trackback